Can I just thank you all so much for your well-wishes on my post about my family’s near-death experience? We are feelin’ the love. ♥ We’ve just been taking it in these past couple of days, but we’re a-okay!
I’m sorry that I was MIA from MIMM yesterday (I’m not even trying sound cool), but I was spending some quality time with my aunt, uncle, and cousins who spent the night at our house. Getting to see them is so fun, and you’ll see why when you read on about my cousins. I also always love talking with my aunt (my confirmation sponsor) and uncle (my godfather).
Mom and I got to cooking and baking while we were waiting for our guests to arrive. I love any excuse to bake, so I decided to make brownies (using this recipe) that everyone seemed to enjoy (thank God— I’ve never used anything but box mix before).
Hors d’œuvre spread.
Our guests (which also included my great-aunt, who lives near by) arrived Sunday night at around 5 PM. My 5-year-old cousin, Angela, and I did not hesitate to start getting crafty with some Do-a-Dot art and drawing. We had a contest to see who could make the most pictures, and she cranked out about five while I only had four. She doesn’t mess around.
This cutie, Joseph, was the biggest ham for the camera. He really knows how to work it! Just point the camera to him and he is all smiles for ya.
Before we knew it, my mom had set out a feast for all of us. We decided to go Sandra Lee-style with the semi-homemade method. 30% of the food was made by my mom and the other 70% was takeout from a Chinese restaurant. 100% of the food was fantastic.
It’s like Thanksgiving again.
We were all like happy, full babies.
We had to opportunity to have a very technological conference with my other aunt, uncle and cousins through FaceTime while our grandparents were on the phone line.
Angela slept in my room for the night, so we had a super awesome slumber party looking at the glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling, admiring my multi-colored night light (listen, those are just conveniently there from like, 5th grade), and talking about not being able to sleep and other deep things such as what we would wear to the princess Grand Ball. And let me tell you, Angela is one of THE most intelligent 5-year-olds I’ve ever met, so I can seriously converse with her about this kind of stuff. She speaks more articulately than a lot of my friends even. Juuuust sayin’. She was hyper on half a brownie too, so we talked until 11:30, which is pretty late for Angela. Girls just wanna have fun! 😉
Some tidbits from 5-year-old Angela:
“I want to go get socks from my mom’s room, but I don’t want to go downstairs and bother her…I guess I’ll just have to manage.”
“I was up for an hour after midnight and I just couldn’t go back to sleep so I prayed a decade of the rosary… I also helped Mommy and Daddy clean up the kitchen, open the curtains, and move the shepherd closer to the stable….Yes, I know it’s so frustrating that I couldn’t go back to sleep!”
“You know what? If you want to fall asleep, DON’T have chocolate before bed…The only time you can drink hot chocolate is if it’s super cold that not even ten blankets can keep you warm! You’re so cold that you HAVE to drink the hot chocolate and then put another blanket on top of you.”
Do you see how bright this child is? I definitely did not know how to use “frustrating” in context or how to pray a rosary at five years old. Her parents are fabulous teachers.
I woke up bright and early to make breakfast for everyone. I also will take any excuse to make big breakfasts for other people. ‘Tis my absolute favorite meal to make AND eat!
Waffles or pancakes? (This recipe for the waffles + this one for the pancakes)
Eggs, fruit, and congee were also included in this bed & breakfast service. 🙂
You know they’re good when you have pancake on your nose!
We immediately used up our energy from breakfast for running around the house playing bus driver and tag and walk-the-baby. The Game of Life also happened. And yes, Angela played— counting money and all.
After a while, we were hungry for lunch! My mother just threw together another feast in about 10 minutes flat. Typical madre.
The woman can do wonders with leftovers.
I so wish our guests could have stayed longer, but they have other family members to visit this Christmas— they’ve gotta spread the love! Every minute spent with them is such a blessing.
The one time Joey doesn’t look at the camera!
Goodbyes were sad, but hugs and kisses make everyone feel better.
Today is Christmas Eve! *jumping of excitement* We’re taking advantage of our vicinity to NYC today by going down to see the tree and other festive sights of the season!
So tell me: What are some funny/thoughtful things you’ve heard from a child? What did you do this weekend?