Thinking out loud with the lovely Amanda today!
1. No school today. ‘Nough said.
One downside to the white stuff is the lack of road space. There are already those people that park on the narrow side streets, and now the buildup of snow is slowly bottlenecking the roads storm after storm. The polar bears should just come live in New York. There are enough glaciers here now.
2. I miss burpees. Yeah. Ever since making the commitment to myself to keep my workouts low in intensity, I have not done burpees in the context of a workout. I have done some for fun here and there when I’m taking a study break or something, but I’m feeling a little burpee withdrawal…?
3. That being said, I am still doing some strength-focused bodyweight exercises right now. I’ve found that the extra strength training definitely makes a positive difference in how I dance. Yesterday I did this new leg exercise because I wanted to mix things up a bit: single leg squat holds on a BOSU.
Except I was not smiling.
I probably looked like a shaking leaf on that thing, but it was a great challenge!
4. Winter sports look so treacherous. Pairs skating lifts, snowboarding/skiing wipeouts (we just watched Kelly Clark take a major blow on the half pipe— yikes)…even speed skating. Blades are flyin’ everywhere, and I’m terrified that someone is going to trip over someone else. You’d think I would be a little more chill since I used to be a figure skater, but I’ve had some scary falls myself…that weren’t even that bad, relatively speaking.
5. On a similar note, the figure skating commentators are drama queens. As soon as one skater falls, one says, “Wow. That was just disastrous. So unfortunate.” Two minutes later, another one chimes in saying, “Knowing their dream has vanished, they’re still skating with all their hearts.” And then on the last fall: “If you’re gonna go down, you might as well go down swingin’.” “Yep, that was a big swing.”
“After the humiliation of being shut out in Vancouver, the Russians get first and second!”
I mean, these comments are pretty true, but I just get a kick out of how dramatic they can sound.
6. I’m ready for peach season (and anything summery, come to think of it). I told Davida that I wanted her to make a healthy version of peach cobbler, and now I can’t stop thinking about it.
7. I’m going on a college visit this weekend for an admitted students’ day— let the discerning truly begin! I’ll be back with more details about the visit on Monday.
8. Oh, I did this yesterday.
I was debating going home and napping or just working out and napping later (knowing there would be a snow day today), and when the intersection to turn either way approached, I chose the gym. But then I got there and wanted to sleep. I’m a terrible decision-maker. Did I just go home then? Eh, I was already there, so I just took a 20 minute snooze and that did the trick. I didn’t even care if people passed by my car and judged me.
9. Speaking of which, I’m sleepy. I’ll sign off here on the elusive #9. Hope you have a wonderful Thursday!
So tell me:
What is one form of exercise that you miss when you take a break from it for a while?
What summery things are you craving? Or wintery things if you’re in the southern hemisphere?