I’ve named this week’s Thursday Things “Halloween Happenings,” because it seemed appropriate for the occasion and I really like alliterations. Also, I’m still considering a more unique name for all my Thursday Things posts. A couple weeks ago, I thought about “Loggin’ the Noggin,” but I shut that down in consideration of what my future college self would think about that Dr. Seuss-ish title. It’ll come to me sooner or later. But anyway, here’s what’s happening this Halloween!
1. I’ve always loved Winnie the Pooh. I’m talking the classic cartoon that looks like a moving storybook, not those weird modern 3D-type shows. Just to be clear, I don’t actually still watch Winnie the Pooh, but I do have a special place in my heart for the characters. And today, my costume is an ode to Roo! (Shout out to my friend Ana for lending this to me!)
It looks huge, and it kind of is because Ana is much taller than me, but this costume wasn’t meant to flatter anyway. But it is SO comfy! I was tempted to sleep in this last night.
2. Ben and I carved our first pumpkin in a longgg time last night! The face was supposed to look slightly evil, but the eyebrows make it look like a cat… Whatever works.
3. I also roasted pepitas using the seeds gutted from our carving pumpkin. It took a longer time washing and drying the seeds than it did sorting them from the pumpkin guts. Those little seeds are SO SLIPPERY! I boiled them first (I read from a recipe that this makes them crispier) roasted them with a little olive oil and maple syrup, and they sort of have a sweet flavor, but they definitely didn’t absorb as much flavor as nuts would. They’re nice and crispy though!
4. I won’t be going trick-or-treating tonight for a few reasons. First of all, I’m going to help my mom give out candy to the trick-or-treaters. Secondly, it’s cold outside. Thirdly, I’m not a huge candy person anymore (I have all the Reese’s I need anyway ;)). Finally, I’m 17. I know a lot of my friends will still be going, but I was personally kinda over it three years ago.
5. I’m going to have to end the happenings here because I gotta head to school!
Have a safe and happy Halloween!
So tell me: Are you dressing up as anything? Did you carve pumpkins this year?